- In a mixing bowl, whisk Prima Cake Mix, eggs, water and pandan paste on maximum speed for 7-10 minutes until the batter turns pale green, fluffy and thick.
- Reduce to speed 1 and gradually pour in vegetable oil and coconut cream. Gently fold with a spatula until evenly combined.
- Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and pour in batter. Bake at 180°C for about 45 minutes.*
- Once cooled, slice the cake into 3 equal horizontal layers. Set aside.
- Add finely chopped gula melaka, water and pandan leaves in a saucepan and boil until gula melaka is melted and mixture comes together.
- Strain the melted gula melaka and boil again until it thickens into a syrup consistency. Add in fresh grated coconut and salt and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Once the gula melaka syrup is cooled, divide it into 2 equal portions. Set aside.
Italian Meringue Buttercream
- Boil granulated sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar syrup reaches the softball stage.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg white at high speed until soft peak stage.
- Gradually pour in sugar syrup, the bowl should feel hot. Continue to whisk until firm peak stage then reduce to low speed. The bowl should feel lukewarm.
- Gradually add in softened unsalted butter and whisk at medium speed until it forms a homogenous mixture of buttercream. Continue whisking until the buttercream turns pale yellow or white. Set aside.
- Spread a portion of gula melaka filling on a layer of pandan sponge cake. Place the other layer of cake on top and repeat the step.
- Place the final layer of pandan sponge cake on top. Crumb coat the assembled cake with the buttercream by spreading a thin layer around the entire cake. Let it set it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Apply a thin layer of buttercream around the crumb coat to get a clean finish. Dust the sides of the cake with desiccated coconut. Pipe rosettes as desired at the top of the cake and/or decorate with pieces of ondeh ondeh.
- Let the cake set in the chiller for about an hour before serving.
*Tips: Cake is done when skewer stick inserted in centre comes out clean.