Vanilla Layer Cake Base
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Line two 12” x 12” baking pan with parchment paper.
- Sift Ingredient A. Set aside flour mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, mix Ingredient B at low speed for about 1 minute. Add in flour mixture and sugar, mix for another minute. Increase to high speed for 6 – 7 minutes until batter is light and fluffy
- Gradually add in melted unsalted butter at low speed.
- Split the batter equally into two lined baking pans and bake for 20 – 25 minutes*.
- Once baked, allow the cake to cool before removing from the pan. Slice into 9cm x 22cm pieces.
*Tips: Stagger or rotate the pans halfway through baking to ensure even baking.
- Heat fresh raspberries, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring from time to time.
- Meanwhile, combine corn starch and water to make slurry.
- Bring the raspberry juice to a simmer and add in slurry, boil for a couple of minutes.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla bean paste. Cool before using, or store in the refrigerator.
Almond Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Heat the egg white and sugar over a double boiler until the temperature reaches 60°C. Remove from heat when sugar is dissolved. Meringue is ready.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the meringue on medium-high speed for 7 – 10 minutes until glossy and thick.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and reduce speed to medium. Gradually add in softened butter cubes and mix until it reaches a silky smooth texture*.
- Add in almond butter and stir to combine. Set aside buttercream or refrigerate it.
- If using refrigerated buttercream, bring to room temperature and re-whip in the mixer.
*Tips: If meringue starts to curdle, keep mixing until it turns smooth. If it is too thin or runny, refrigerate the mixture for about 15 minutes before mixing again.
- Pipe a border of buttercream around the surface of a vanilla layer cake base and spread a layer of raspberry coulis within the border. Top it with another layer of vanilla cake.
- Spread a layer of buttercream over the vanilla cake and top it with another layer of vanilla cake.
- Repeat Step 1.
- Complete the cake by spreading a thin layer of buttercream on the surface of the cake. Decorate with desired fruits or chocolate.